Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Experience in installing XP in Compaq CQ40-321TU

Hi all, this time I want to share about my experience in installing my friend's laptop. My friends bought this laptop on mega bazaar computer in JCC. Assuming that we can install XP on that laptop, he choose to buy the FreeDos version. So he doesn't pay for Vista license too. So…he ask me to help him installing XP binus edition plus other apps. Well…here was the steps I made.

Step 1:

I boot the laptop with my XP SP2 binus edition CD. The setup ended with bluescreen. Ok…I think this the AHCI problem. Boot into BIOS & searching for option where I can disable the AHCI. Well…the CQ40 doesn't have it. (while my NEC versa S3300 have option for disabling AHCI). Its time for Google then. I end up with this blog (thx to akrom) : http://akrom22.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/install-windows-xp-on-hp-compaq-cq40-108-tu/ . well, he wrote a good step by step guide for integrating XP installer so it can detect SATA HDD.

Step 2: Integrating SATA driver to XP Installer

Download the required apps :

I continuing step for integrating the SATA driver to my XP installer, adding SP3 & other patch that I have (I will akrom's guide later after get his permission). Then…TADA…my installer ready

    Step 3: installing XP & application

    The installation went well. I can finished the XP installation without any trouble. Then I install the device drivers…starting with VGA, chipset, WLAN, card reader…and the last one…SOUND driver. Here where the problem begin. The driver cannot recognize the onboard sound chip. So I continue googling incase the vendor release another driver. I ended up with this site : (http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1236779597905+28353475&hpweb_printable=true&threadId=1273971 ). The man, raj chugh advising that I have to update the BIOS.

Step 4: Updating BIOS & trouble begin

I download the bios from the link he posted. Flash it (I have problem with booting into dos mode with HIREN 9.2 in this laptop too. Damn…)…the process went well…like the guide said. The laptop automatically turn off after the flash completed. After 5 minutes…I turn it on again...the power led was lit…the fan is on, but why there is no display? the LCD was blank....showing nothing…I try plugging my LCD monitor to its external connector…still no signal detected….damn…

Quickly googling for HP COMPAQ customer care number in indonesia…got it…I call it & spoke to a woman...she guide me…for checking external connector, bla..bla…and after 5 minutes…she gave up. She advise me to take the laptop to service centre.

    Step 5 : Recovering BIOS

Again…googling…and found this site (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Hardware&thread.id=2763&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 ) he got similar problem…his laptop can boot…without any display. I followed tdk's step:

  • Downloading the original BIOS from :
  • Extract it to a folder
  • Rename file 30F7F24U.FD (for intel chipset, or 30F7F24D.FD if u use nvidia chipset) to 30F7.BIN & copy it to an empty flash disk (I use transcend jetflash v10 2GB)
  • Remove battery from the laptop
  • Unplug the AC adaptor
  • Plug the flash disk into any USB port
  • Press and hold the Window key & "B" key
  • Plug-in the AC adaptor
  • While still holding the windows + B, press the power button on the laptop
  • After the power led is on, let go all the button & start praying :p
  • The laptop will turn on, without any display. It will access the flash disk & read the BIOS file u copy in it
  • After 1-2 minutes, the laptop will turn off automatically.
  • Unplug the flash disk & AC Adaptor
  • Plug in AC adaptor again & turn on your laptop….
  • VOILA….the POST screen will show up….

I save 100-150 thousand taxi fare to go to HP service center with this step. thx to "tdk" in HP Support Forum who posted this recovery step. I think I will not install XP in CQ40 series again for now. My friends have agree to install vista binus edition too. So….this is all my sharing bout installing XP in CQ40 series laptop. Sorry for my terrible English…I use this blog for improving my English…hehe…see u in another sharing.

9 comments:

  1. You have done a great service to the public.
    Kudos to you!

    I almost took the same path as you. That is a relative of mine asked me to install Windows XP to his HP CQ40-321TU. The difference is that I was equipped with Windows XP SP3 so that there was no problem with the SATA stuff. But, I ended up encountering a problem with the sound driver just like you.

    In short, this laptop is designed for Windows Vista. That's bad! I hate Vista. XP is way much better.

    Once again, thank you very much for your post.
    You have done a great service to the public.

    PS: Your English is not bad, and I am grateful that you use English. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to read this.
    PS2: I am lucky that I don't have any problem with the SATA thing because the article that you refer regarding the thing is not in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then, at last, did u succed install xp & sound driver on that machine? Or we have to surrender with that vista crap? thanks a lot ur the tuts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you I can go on, I just bought Compaq CQ40-317, and being exited downloaded everything on HP Product support page, Installed Windows Vista, Drivers, did settings, Installed software's, this took me about 5 hours and lastly I don't know why but thought of upgrading the BIOS, as I used to upgrade the BIOS of my PC's DG33BU M/B as frequently as it got released, everything went OK flashing was OK Laptop shut down as expected, but when I tried to power it suddenly no display, It was 3'o clock at night and no one to call that also on Saturday night, just thought of doing nothing for 28 hour just freaked me out, until I thought of goggling from my PC, and I landed on this page, thank you very very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Difference experience of mine...
    I would like to tell you my stories regarding my trial on windows xp - cq40-337TU installation.
    I installed winxp sucessfully after injected sata driver into xp installation disk. But afterward i strugled finding drivers on the net because of low internet bandwith i have. And then i decided to try Windows7 RC which i got free from magazine. The instalation went smoothly and all device drivers instaled out of the box except cardreaders and sm bus.
    During windows7 trial period, i came to compaq regional dealer and got complete xp drivers from them. And today i reformated hdd and install xp on it and then the drivers as step by step guide mentioned on readme.txt. Including downgrade bios from F24 become F11e. Finally everything on device manager looks perfect, no unknown device, and soundcard works fine. But one thing bother me is the wlan can't detect network at all. Yes, the broadcom wlan driver seem okay on device manager. But searching wlan network resulted nothing.
    I'm affraid the bios downgrade procedure cause this.
    Please someone help me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello mick. I have the same problem with my cq40. But i can't find site that i can download the BIOS file. Can you help me send your bios file to syukuralfaqir@gmail.com. Or give me a link where i can download it. Please i really need ur help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mick, I have NEC Versa S3300 and have problem in installing XP on it. U said your NEC S3300 have option to disabling AHCI, but I can't find it. Can you please tell me where I can find the option ? or u have another option for me ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. THx micks ..you are my man ....thx for sharing this information

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great..! What a good idea mick. Btw would you like to sent me the files.. i really need your help. Tq v. much my friend. here is my email : nuarskp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. to all who reply....i'm very very very sory for no checking this blog for a long time

    @fajar: yes...it's in bios...the 2nd tab from the left

    @v6 : what file do you mean?the bios?i'm sory...this case happen in my old office & i dont copy the bios to my personal hdd.

    ReplyDelete